ICTP is now accepting applications for the 2017/2018 academic year. The programme, covering the period 1 September 2017 - 31 August 2018, will lead to the ICTP Postgraduate Diploma in the relevant field.
The online application form is here; the application deadline is 31 January 2017.
Qualifications and Scholarships
- The Postgraduate Diploma Programme is open to young (generally below 28 years of age), qualified graduates from all countries that are members of the United Nations, UNESCO or IAEA.
- The minimum qualification for applicants is a degree equivalent to an MSc (or an exceptionally good BSc) in physics, mathematics or in a field related to the topics listed below. The selection of candidates will be based on their university record and on academic recommendations.
- Since the Postgraduate Diploma Programme is in English, fluency in speaking and writing is an essential qualification.
- The applicant is expected to have adequate knowledge of the following topics in the specific field for which he/she is applying:
For Condensed Matter Physics: solid state physics; quantum mechanics; statistical mechanics; classical mechanics; electrodynamics; mathematical physics.
For High Energy, Cosmology and Astropartical Physics: classical mechanics; electrodynamics; special theory of relativity; quantum mechanics; statistical mechanics.
For Earth System Physics: a theoretical background in physics, mathematics or engineering; mathematical methods applied in geophysics and geosciences.
For Mathematics: basic abstract algebra; elements of real and complex analysis; topology.
- In each Postgraduate Diploma Programme, scholarships and travel grants will be awarded to those 10 students selected from developing countries. There are no course fees. Students will receive a scholarship of 450 Euro per month for the entire year of study. Accommodation is provided by ICTP.
- A limited number of qualified candidates who meet the same selection criteria as others may attend the courses at their own cost. They must supply written evidence from a funding agency or a banking institution that funds are available for their entire year's stay, and are equal to those offered by the Centre.
In addition to completing an online application form, candidates should upload the following as part of their application:
- Copies of transcripts of university academic records and university degrees in English (The selected candidates will be required to provide originals or certified copies of these documents as well as of their official English translation before he/she can be admitted to the Programme).
- Any certificates or documents that give proof of the student's ability to follow advanced-level courses, study and write scientific literature in the English language.
- Two letters of recommendation, from senior scientists familiar with the applicant's studies and work.
If you have problems with the online application, please contact the Diploma Office at email@example.com.
More contact details are available on the Diploma Office page.